Sunday, June 26, 2011

Rain, Work, and Learning to Deal with Persecution

I don't even know where to begin exactly....  I have bee nso busy and getting on here to blog hasn't really been an option. Between work, and project stuff, and hanging out with my cool project peeps, its been really hard to just take a break and rest.  The stress has definitely been getting to me this week though.  I've been like randomly crying for no apparent reason, other than something small happened and caused the stress to overflow with tears.

It really has been a tough week though.... starting on Wednesday.  It felt like everything went wrong.  People at work are really persecuting those of us from project.  They put us down and talk about us "christian kids" who just come in and take over their jobs. And i can understand that, but its not our fault.  The owner is the one allowing us to take the day shifts.  And even just working with each other all day makes us a little snappy with each other.  Definitely a battle to keep our minds and focus on God, and to be a light to those we work with who aren't saved.  So anyway, Wednesday just was terrible in general, I forgot to order a tables food during a rush resulting in no tip (but who could blame them?).  Then a party of 11 came in right at the end resulting in my staying over for an hour, and having to roll the silverware by myself.... then to top it off, on my walk home, two blocks away it started raining. Then I hit my leg on the bed once I got to my room and cut and bruised myself.  The next two days did not get any better.  If anything they got worse.  But by Saturday, I really started letting Christ live through me instead of trying to do it myself.  I just prayed through everything that came along and quoted some of the scripture we have been reading in Phillipians.

The Lord is definitely teaching me through my circumstances to rejoice in every circumstance and in the face of persecution.  To treat it like I am suffering for the Lord, and to count it a joy.  There are a couple of verses in particular I have had to focus on this week.  Phillipians 2:3-4, 14-15 which say, "do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.  Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others..... Do all things withough grumbling or questioning, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world."  This week the Lord has really been revealing to me my selfish attitudes and pride, and also my lack of patience.  But he has steadily been giving me grace through my failures and really just teaching me to be a servant to others.  To give grace instead of snapping back, to rejoice instead of complaining, and to look to him for my self worth and value instead of looking for it in others.  I've definitely struggled with feeling alone and unpursued in friendships while here, even knowing it isn't true.  But I believe God is also using that to draw me closer to himself, reminding me he is always there, in the midst of everything.  It's really hard to put into words just all of the things I've been learning this week. But I definitely think this has been a week of growth.

Also backtracking a little bit to Tuesday of this week, me and my discipler Lindsay got to go to breakfast with a student named Brenda from the dominican republic.  She is so super sweet and funny.  We went to the pancake cabin and really just took some time to get to know her.  And by the end of our conversations we got to share the gospel with her!  It really was a good way to start off that day.  We are going to continue to meet with her and hopefully she will really begin to understand it.

Sorry again it took so long to post this.... it has been a wonderful and trying week all at the same time.  Love you all! I will try to write again soon!

1 comment:

  1. It doesn't matter if you're in the Caribbean or the Tennessee Valley, there will be good and bad days. Seems to me that you know what you have to do to get through the hard times, though. The couple of versus you found seem to fit perfectly from that crazy week. I think eventually some of those workers will realize why you are there, though, their first reaction/instinct is to worry about their jobs and income. I hope you make progress at work and get your fellow coworkers to become more accepting of you or at least to respect you for what you are doing with this project. I would say if you're going to try to approach them, though, to do it carefully to not push them further away as many Christians accidentally do. Remember where you are and enjoy this opportunity! It will get better as I'm sure it already has!

    Ken

    ReplyDelete